What ever happened to the Polar Special Hilux?

Chev_350

Car(s)
VX Calais
What ever happened to the Polar Special Hilux? I take it it isn't sitting in the Top Gear boneyard

^ Most likely - it wasn't a TG project car as such, and the company that made it took another couple of vehicles along on the trip.

Great timing!
Saw it yesterday on a car show in Brussels:
3224961041_2e9bf715c9_o.jpg

3224960773_21d2184be1_o.jpg

3225818550_d1cc1f0e4d_o.jpg

The car looks extremely well, you couldn't even tell it went to the North Pole and back. I guess they fixed it after the return trip. Also, I love the fact that it's the "Invincible" version that the trio claimed was named after the old indestructible one from the plinth.

The whole thing was a product between Toyota and Artic Trucks I think, so they use it as a show car.

Does it still have the seat at the back ?

The bumper dumper? That attached to the tow ball, so I doubt they'll still have it. Probably in James's house. :D

It may not necessary be the car Jeremy drove as there were 3 Hilux's they took to the pole, also Jeremys was pretty badly damaged at 1 point as he did pierce the reserve fuel tank

Actually it might be the one Jeremy Drove. The show car has some damage on it and the side bar is bent, just like the one on the polar special. Also the other 2 Hiluxs on the polar special had rear canopies.

Last edited:
that most likely is the truck in the Top Gear Polar Special. The front pan is damaged as well as the bent side step.

Most of the damage that would have occured would be under the truck anyway.

It may not necessary be the car Jeremy drove as there were 3 Hilux's they took to the pole, also Jeremys was pretty badly damaged at 1 point as he did pierce the reserve fuel tank

Wasn't 3 Hiluxes (Hilii?)

Two red Hiluxers (one of which towed a trailer) and one Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
Wasn't 3 Hiluxes (Hilii?)

Two red Hiluxers (one of which towed a trailer) and one Land Cruiser.

<pedantic mode>

Depending on the market, that's not a LandCruiser - it's a Prado, a size down from a real LandCruiser.

</pedantic mode>

To be really pedantic, I believe the full name is "Land Cruiser Prado" as opposed to "Land Cruiser Amazon" for it's big brother, though these terms only apply to certain parts of the world.

Here in the United States, only the big model is known as a Land Cruiser (without any suffixes). What is the LC Prado elsewhere is called the 4Runner here.

It was here last year then I heard it was in a show in brazil or something

Arctic Trucks and Toyota UK and BBC were working on this project together

2 Hiluxes, 1 that jeremy drove witch the photos are of and the other with the crew and spare tires and gear

1 Land Cruiser Prado or 120 in some countries because it is built on LJ12 platform, that one was not modified along with the british hiluxes, it was modified in 2004 if i remember correctly and it's just a cheaper version of the "real" one plus the new one is pigugly except for this one:

getfile.aspx

as soon as it gets big tires not tiny ones that you get stock and fenders or what ever you call them it looks so menacing in black and with xenon lights :drool:

Here in the United States, only the big model is known as a Land Cruiser (without any suffixes). What is the LC Prado elsewhere is called the 4Runner here.

<super pedantic anorak mode>

Well, I think you'll find the 4Runner is a Toyota Hilux/Tacoma that's converted into a 4WD. The Land Cruiser Prado is a smaller version of the Land Cruiser Amazon.

800px-06-07_Toyota_4Runner.jpg

4Runner

800px-2003-2007_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_Prado_02.jpg

</super pedantic anorak mode>

Check and mate.