Author Topic: olympus camedia c-350 zoom  (Read 829 times)

Offline p.larnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
olympus camedia c-350 zoom
« on: October 22, 2023, 08:24:39 pm »
Firstly i dont know if this is the right place but,here goes,i have an old olympus camedia c-350 zoom ,any idea how i can get my pc to see it,i am on win 10 64 and cant find drivers,any ideas?,cheers.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: olympus camedia c-350 zoom
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 08:46:01 pm »
Oh, wow. This was the first thing I bought with my first ever real salary in like 2003. I doubt there will be any drivers that will work for Win10 for a camera from that time.

It does not have internal memory and it uses proprietary xD cards. But there would be card readers for them. If you just want to see the pictures, get the card reader.
Alex

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 08:56:24 pm »
My first digital cam was also an Olympus, albeit a more recent model. I don't remember exactly which one it was, I'll have to look that up. I sold it a couple years later to buy a Sony one.
Many USB card readers support Olympus xD, buy one that explicitely supports it.

Olympus museum, cool stuff: https://www.olympus-global.com/technology/museum/camera/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 08:59:07 pm by SiliconWizard »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 08:57:41 pm »
Appears to be supported by gphoto2, but I don't know if Windows supports gphoto2.

Weren't all those old point and shoots using some PTP protocol, more or less standardized? Ought to just work everywhere? :-//
(BTW, mare sure to configure the camera correctly. For instance, Canon had to be turned on into playback mode for PTP to work.)

I second the recommendation for a card reader, there are some all-in-one types which take a lot of formats, may take xD as well. Be sure to find one that presents itself as USB Mass Storage, or you will be on another driver hunt.

Offline p.larnerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 09:09:37 pm »
well sorted it,i found the dcim folder on the usb with explorer,now got the pics from it,it cost £7.50 from ebay with case,my other camera is a sony,its rather bulky tho,the cmedia is pocket size and takes half decent pics,i had an old 1.3mp camedia years ago,thought i would upgrade to a vivitar 6mp camera,it was crap,i think a lot of times the optics are more important than the mp count!,the olympus seem to have good optics imho.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 09:18:26 pm »
Out of such stuff I like Canon because they used SD almost from the beginning. And CF for the first few years; their early cameras ran on DOS ;D

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 09:19:34 pm »
It was a good camera for the time. Modern phones are way better, but they are also not cheap. The only issue with it at the time were xD cards which were expensive.

It helped me in the university a lot. Instead of making expensive photocopies I could just take pictures. It was amazing, especially given 0.3mp cameras of the phones at the time.

And my parents still have that camera and it still works. Running from AA batteries solves the battery degradation issue.
Alex

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 09:32:43 pm »
Had many different models of Olympus camera.
All were seen as a USB disk with a DCIM folder without the need of a win xx driver, but they needed a good functional battery in the camera to be seen.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf