Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion dv4

Hi,
I took out the CD player to convert it into an external player. My question is, what is tee connector type of the internal CD player of the pavilion dv4. My next step would be to find a usb adaptor for it.

Thank you so much,
Eliya

B587BA09-963D-4129-B883-02EC729FE944.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It uses a 12.7 mm SATA optical disk. The interface you are seeing in your picture is the HP caddy for the drive. The caddy can be removed leaving an industry standard mini-SATA connector on the back of the drive. You can use an adapter cable like this to use the DVD drive as an external with other computers. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slimline-mini-SATA-13Pin-to-USB-2-0-Power-Adapter-Data-Cable-Fr-CD-DVD-ROM-...

You can also find these types of adapters with enclosure boxes to make a more permanent piece of equipment but as @banhien says external DVD burner drives already made up can be found pretty cheaply so I am not sure you can save much money by salvaging your old DVD burner. If you can use it just with the $4 adapter linked above you would save some bucks. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ekilada

There are few generations of HP dv4, what is it ?  Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

From the image, looks like HP used different connector and you need  a optical drive connector cable which is included in the Cable Kit, spare part number 652696-001.

Note: If you wish to convert it to an external player, buying a USB CD/DVD burner would be cheaper and no headache.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Thank you. THe exact model is 

HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx Entertainment Notebook PC

I am not clear what spare part 

652969-001 contains. What connector types does it connect to and from. Is there a known  adaptor  to usb?

also, it looks like that hp connector is for both data and power connections for the optical drive. 

Thank you again,

Eliyah

HP Recommended
Hi Banhien,
Thank you. THe exact model is
HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx Entertainment Notebook PC

I am not clear what spare part

652969-001 contains. What connector types does it connect to and from. Is there a known adaptor to usb?
also, it looks like that hp connector is for both data and power connections for the optical drive.

I wanted to reuse my old laptops dvd driver..

Thank you again,
Eliyah
HP Recommended

It uses a 12.7 mm SATA optical disk. The interface you are seeing in your picture is the HP caddy for the drive. The caddy can be removed leaving an industry standard mini-SATA connector on the back of the drive. You can use an adapter cable like this to use the DVD drive as an external with other computers. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slimline-mini-SATA-13Pin-to-USB-2-0-Power-Adapter-Data-Cable-Fr-CD-DVD-ROM-...

You can also find these types of adapters with enclosure boxes to make a more permanent piece of equipment but as @banhien says external DVD burner drives already made up can be found pretty cheaply so I am not sure you can save much money by salvaging your old DVD burner. If you can use it just with the $4 adapter linked above you would save some bucks. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
Thank you so much Huffer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.